A case of primary pulmonary follicular dendritic cell sarcoma
Here, we report a 66-year-old woman who presented with an irregular and lobulated pulmonary mass in the apical segment of the right superior lobe with an enlarged mediastinal lymph node. Abdominal computed tomography (CT), brain magnetic resonance imaging, and fluorine-18 fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/CT scans showed no extrapulmonary distant metastases. The patient underwent surgical sleeve resection of the right superior lobe with systematic hilar and mediastinal lymph node dissection. Post-operative histopathology, including hematoxylin and eosin staining, immunohistochemistry, and Epstein–Barr virus in situ hybridization, suggested primary pulmonary follicular dendritic cell sarcoma (FDCS). A follow-up plain chest CT indicated recurrence with multiple metastases of the liver, ribs, and mediastinal lymph nodes 1 year after surgery. The patient declined further therapy and was lost follow-up. In this case, FDCS located in the lung was unusual and rare. Corresponding imaging and histopathological features have enhanced our understanding of this disease. Meanwhile, it is necessary to include this tumor as a differential diagnosis of lung tumors and pay particular attention to the possibility of post-operative recurrence and metastasis. Moreover, considering the heterogeneity of FDCS, it is essential to identify the biological or imaging features that can reflect or predict the high risk of tumor recurrence and metastasis. A corresponding post-operative examination is also necessary to determine if any lesions remain.
- Saygin C, Uzunaslan D, Ozguroglu M, et al., 2013, Dendritic cell sarcoma: A pooled analysis including 462 cases with presentation of our case series. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, 88: 253–271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.critrevonc.2013.05.006
- Patlak CS, Blasberg RG, Fenstermacher JD, 1983, Graphical evaluation of blood-to-brain transfer constants from multiple-time uptake data. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab, 3: 1–7. https://doi.org/10.1038/jcbfm.1983.1
- O’Sullivan B, Brierley J, Byrd D, et al., 2017, The TNM classification of malignant tumours-towards common understanding and reasonable expectations. Lancet Oncol, 18: 849–851. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(17)30438-2
- Monda L, Warnke R, Rosai J, 1986, A primary lymph node malignancy with features suggestive of dendritic reticulum cell differentiation. A report of 4 cases. Am J Pathol, 122: 562–572.
- Malik A, Veniyoor A, Fanthome B, et al., 2012, Follicular dendritic cell sarcoma: A diagnostic challenge! J Cancer Res Ther, 8: 306–307. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1482.98998
- Shah RN, Ozden O, Yeldandi A, et al., 2001, Follicular dendritic cell tumor presenting in the lung: A case report. Hum Pathol, 32: 745–749. https://doi.org/10.1053/hupa.2001.25595
- Kovacs RB, Sattar HA, Krausz T, et al., 2006, Primary follicular dendritic cell sarcoma of the lung. Histopathology, 49: 431–433.
- Hollingsworth J, Cooper WA, Nicoll KD, et al., 2011, Follicular dendritic cell sarcoma of the lung: A report of two cases highlighting its pathological features and diagnostic pitfalls. Pathology, 43: 67–70. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAT.0b013e3283419e2a
- Denning KL, Olson PR, Maley RH Jr., et al., 2009, Primary pulmonary follicular dendritic cell neoplasm: A case report and review of the literature. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 133: 643–647. https://doi.org/10.5858/133.4.643
- Kim H, Park CM, Jeon YK, et al., 2012, Computed tomography and 18F-fluoro-2-deoxyglucose positron emission tomography findings of primary pulmonary follicular dendritic cell sarcoma: Case report and a literature review. J Thorac Imaging, 27: W94–W96. https://doi.org/10.1097/RTI.0b013e318220309f
- Caushi F, Berdica L, Xhemalaj D, et al., 2019, Primary pulmonary follicular dendritic cell sarcoma: Successful treatment of an extremely rare case. J BUON, 24: 862–863.
- Garza-Chapa JI, Ocampo-Garza J, Vázquez-Herrera NE, et al., 2016, Paraneoplastic pemphigus associated with primary pulmonar follicular dendritic cell sarcoma showing good response to treatment. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol, 30: 465–467. https://doi.org/10.1111/jdv.12842